[OPE-L:8505] Re: Okishio Theorem 'repudiated'?

From: rakeshb@stanford.edu
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 03:03:01 EST

Quoting gerald_a_levy <gerald_a_levy@msn.com in 8499>:

> Okishio did not 'repudiate'  what has become known as the
> Okishio Theorem (in his _CJE_ 2001 article): rather, he simply
> acknowledged that it was a comparative statics result.

Oh I don't agree. He did not merely acknowledge that it was a
comparative statics result. He questioned what heuristic relevance
a result on such basis could have for the study of actual capitalist
dynamics.  This may not constitute repudiation--many of us must
remember previous hair-splitting OPE-L discussion about what
this entails-- but there is more critical bite in regards to what has
become known as the Okishio Theorem (or at least the claims
made on the basis thereof) than you are letting on.

Here's the abstract after all:

Competition and production prices
Nobuo Okishio

2-1-2-1108 Ibukidae Higashi machi, Nishi, Kobe 651-2242, Japan

Abstract

My theorem, the so-called Okishio theorem, is a comparative
statics result. Therefore, it has no realistic meaning if capitalists'
competition does not establish a new equilibrium following the
introduction of a new production method. Marx firmly believed that
a new equilibrium was established. In this paper, we investigate
the capitalist process without technical change. If we choose the
proper parameters and initial conditions, all profit rates converge
to zero, Schumpeter's result.
_______________

Of course the idea that new production methods are introduced
before a new equilibrium is established seems quite reasonable.

It would be important for this list to consider Okishio's article in the
context of previous criticism of comparative static methodology,
e.g. Ben Fine's, Geert Reuten's, Guglielmo Carchedi's and Alan
Freeman's respective criticisms.

Frankly, I am surprised this has not been attempted on this list,
and my post was meant to be provocative.

I don't have my copy of the article with me right now, and I can't
download the pdf on this computer; my copy is tucked in my copy
OPE-L's  Stephen Cullenberg's book on the falling profit rate
which while raising several important and profound questions
about methodological holism does not deal much with this
question of comparative statics.

It would be great of course if Steve C himself commented on this
piece.

> And it has  been claimed by Fujimoto and Ranade that the
> Okishio Theorem also holds in a non-linear environment:

http://www.kfunigraz.ac.at/vwlwww/metroeconomica/1fujimoto.html

This article does not seem to comment on the CJE piece.