[OPE-L:8526] Critical Realism and the War with Iraq

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 19:25:52 EST

At the Eastern Economics Association meetings last
Friday I attended a session on "Critical Realism and
Economics."  Although interested in the session topic,
my hidden agenda was to meet Andy B for the first time.
Andy presented a paper, that he had jointly written, on
the "Political Economy of the Euro".

The session organizer and chair, Andrew Mearman (from
Wagner College on Staten Island in NYC), gave a
presentation on some of the basic concepts associated
with CR and he, along with other speakers (including
Andy B), also gave a critical look at CR.

* Has anyone attempted to develop a CR analysis of
the reasons for the upcoming war with Iraq?

* What would be some of the characteristics of a CR
interpretation?  In other words, what methodological
understandings and 'rules'  would guide a CR  analysis
of the US and UK drive to war with Iraq?

Andy B?  Hans?  Howard?  Others who are familiar
with CR?

In solidarity, Jerry