[OPE-L:8530] Re: 'Simulating the Law of Value' by Ian Wright

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 08:40:51 EST

Re [8524]:
http://unifr.ch/econophysics/articoli/fichier/WrightLawOfValue.pdf

Ian: thank you for letting us know about your paper.  I have a pretty
simple and basic question:  In the context of examining a "simple
commodity economy" you make a claim about the importance of
Marx's law of value for the "dynamics of price and labor allocation
in commodity economies".   Yet, how can the abstraction of a
simple commodity economy tell us anything of significance about the
_dynamics_ of a _capitalist_ economy?   You recognize in your paper
that capitalism is a more complex system than a simple commodity
economy ("the simple commodity economy is simple compared to
capitalism"), so I don't understand what relevance the abstraction of
a "simple commodity system"  has for capitalism  and  Marx's law of
value understood in a dynamic context.

In solidarity, Jerry

> I regularly read the OPE-L archives, and have found it very helpful in my
> work.
PS: Thank you.  Many other archives readers have told me the same thing.
It is very encouraging to know that our musings are appreciated by others.