[OPE-L:8545] Re: Christopher Hill, 1912-2003

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 08:43:30 EST

Paul B: thanks for your comments about Hill in [8538].

>  Life goes fast

Indeed, it does but I like this story from _The Guardian_ article about
Marx:

>  Hill once gave a radio talk marking the centenary of  the publication of
> Das Kapital. He ended it by telling how, in old age,  Marx  had bumped
> into a fellow revolutionary from the 1848 barricades, now prosperous
> and complacent. The acquaintance reflected that, as one got
>  older, one became less radical and less political. "Do you?" Marx
> replied.   "Do you? Well, I do not!"

I'm with Marx on this point.  Indeed,  I even think that engaging in
struggle often makes one feel young(er) again.  For instance, I felt on
February 15  like I had re-discovered the fountain of youth!  A
question:  does anyone know the original source for this story about
Marx?

Solidarity, Jerry