[OPE-L:8563] probabilistic approaches to the theory of value and philosophy

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 12:49:14 EST

>From [8557]:

> In the mid eighties I
> happened to read Farjoun and Machover's book 'Laws of Chaos'.  I have
> been hooked on the probabilistic approach to the theory of value and
> exploitation ever since.  Another early influence was Scot Meikle's
> Aristotelian Marxism.  Studying Aristotle took up the late 80s and early
> 90s. I  spent the latter part of the 90s pleasantly marooned in the second
> millennium BCE courtesy of Martin Bernal.

Hi Phil.
This is an unusual intellectual odyssey.  What, if any, connections do you
see between a probabilistic approach to value theory  and Aristotelian
thought?    Having emerged from years of studying Aristotle and Greek
philosophy, how did your perspective on value change and/or deepen?

Also, what works by Martin Bernal (not to be confused with J.D.
Bernal -- although, I wonder if they were related?) are especially worth
studying?

Solidarity, Jerry