[OPE-L:8605] Bernard Mommer and rent

From: rakeshb@stanford.edu
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 15:18:34 EST

Michael and others,
Here's the ToC for Mommer's last book (Oxford, 2002). I believe
that Mommer and Cyrus both wrote for a special issue of the
Braudel Review in the late 80s. I won't be able to read this book
until late April but I do want to figure out how they theorize rent and
OPEC differently. Cyrus has said that he has not yet read the book.
Martha Campbell recently wrote a piece on Marx's theory of rent in
the volume which she edited with Geert Reuten. I look forward to
reading that too.
Yours, Rakesh

Table of contents for Global oil and the nation state / Bernard
Mommer ; foreword by Ali Rodriguez Araque.

Bibliographic record and links to related information available from
the Library of Congress catalog. Note: Electronic data is machine
generated. May be incomplete or contain other coding.

1   PRIVATE GOVERNANCE OF MINERAL
RESOURCES: FUNDAMENTALS
1.1 Private vs. Public Mineral Ownership
1.2 Private Ownership
1.3 Economic Science and Natural Resource Ownership
2   CASE STUDIES IN PRIVATE GOVERNANCE
2.1 British Coal
2.2 American Oil (1860s-1970s)
2.3 Mexican Oil (1880s-1970s)
2.4 Conclusions
3   PUBLIC GOVERNANCE OF MINERAL RESOURCES:
FUNDAMENTALS
3.1 Non-proprietorial vs. Proprietorial Governance
3.2 Non-proprietorial Governance
3.3 Proprietorial Governance
3.4 Sovereignty
3.5 Ricardian Rent Theory and Taxation
3.6 Politics and Natural Resource Ownership
4   THE INTERNATIONAL OIL CONCESSION SYSTEM
4.1 Venezuela
4.2 Middle East
4.3 Fifty-fifty Profit Sharing
4.4 The Failure of Compromise

5   THE SOVEREIGN LANDLORDS
5.1 Oil Prices and Production Control
5.2 Fiscal Regimes and Oil Prices
5.3 Declaratory Statement of Petroleum Policy
5.4 The OPEC Revolution
5.5 Conclusions
6   THE NEW ROLE OF THE CONSUMING COUNTRIES
6.1 The International Energy Agency
6.2 Investment Treaties and Natural Resources
6.3 Targeting National Oil Companies in the Exporting
Countries
7   CONSUMING VS. EXPORTING COUNTRIES: CASE STUDIES
7.1 United Kingdom
7.2 Alaska
7.3 Venezuela
7.4 Conclusions