[OPE-L:8611] Re: France fried by U.S. Congress

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 08:38:36 EST

Re Paul Z's [8600]:

>  But it is also indicative of the extremely low level to which the
> discussion is being brought domestically.

Yes,  but the drive to war in the US *requires*  that the discussion
be brought to a very low level.  That is,  war in the US requires
war hysteria and national chauvinism (which is inherently irrational).
These attitudes are created,  perpetuated, and magnified by what
Chomsky calls "necessary illusions": i.e. thought control and propaganda
aimed at manufacturing  or perpetuating  irrational forms of behavior.

> Is this to indicate to us that no Marxist could be cited who is better and
> deeper in understanding than the anarchist Chomsky, or is it to indicate
> that we need to learn from all sources?  If the latter, I agree.

Then, who are the Marxists who can be cited who have been able to
explain this social process of "manufacturing consent" better than
Chomsky?

In solidarity, Jerry