[OPE-L:8629] Re: probabilistic approaches to the theory of value and philosophy

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 08:54:58 EST

(In the belief that the list can chew bubble gum and walk at the
same time, we can  simultaneously discuss abstract theory -- such
as the following -- and more immediate events.)

A further question on Phil's [8570]:

> Exchange-value is accidental because it falls under the category of
> relation.  Intrinsic value is accidental because it falls under the
> category of  quantity.

What is the basis for asserting that categories of relation and quantity
(and  doesn't quantity itself  express a relation?) are accidental?   Is
this somehow related to a Aristotelian conception of 'accidental'?

In solidarity, Jerry