[OPE-L:8645] Re: Re: Re: Re: long term centers of gravity?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 17:31:01 EST

>I don't know if the ruling class has split; I just noted the potential for
>a split.  I hope that it comes to pass.
>--

But Michael I don't see why Lind or anyone else accepts at face value
Bush's self-representation as a good ole, Southern boy who represents
the (very) old economy and truly likes pork rinds. This is the image
which Bush and Karl Rove have attempted to project to maintain his
electoral base in the South and the Far West. To think that Bush is
running Dell and Boeing into the ground for cattle ranches and Texas
oil patches is farcical.
Michael Lind is now only now making a political theory out of Bush's
cynical image making and thus giving credence to one of Bush's key
electoral weapons. Why the alarm bells do not go off every time Lind
writes or says something is beyond me. He has already engaged in
immigrant bashing and a pernicious nativism, Listian neo mercantilism
and a virulent and anti-third world economic nationalism, and war
mongering (in the case of Vietnam).
So I don't see why you and the Nation magazine take this demagogue seriously.
Rakesh