[OPE-L:8648] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: long term centers of gravity?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 18:45:29 EST

>I only heard him a couple of times on KPFA.  He did not discuss the
>material you mention -- just that the old English aristocractic influences
>without the Puritanical caveats came with the cotton from the deep South
>to Texas.  I could not defend a book that I did not read.

But your point here is that without those Puritanical cavaets the
Southern aristocracy which now runs the country has been willing to
grant itself tax cuts which will jeopardize the public education
system on which the long term health of the capitalist system in fact
depends. If the heirs of Puritanical capitalism had been in office,
then the tax cuts would not have been pushed through--this seems to
be your point.  Yet Clinton and Rubin enacted reductions in the
capital gains tax. Were Reagan and Stockman beholden to the mythical
Anglo Southern aristocracy when they pushed their tax cuts through?
If we think that the anti-war  and anti-Bush movement will save
(real, true Puritanical) capitalism from a cabal and is thus sure to
win bourgeois support through patient argumentation and electoral
politics, we will surely have deluded ourselves to where we stand in
history today.
Only working class insurgency on extra-electoral political terrain
will now force the capitalist class to give even the appearance of a
shift in policy and regime.
I wish it were not so. The hardly hardly banal nationalism of the
American working class gives me very little confidence that there
will soon  be even the appearance of such a shift.
I know many are filled with hope after the Seattle anti globalization
uprising, the student anti sweatshop agitation, the anti war
movements and the public statements by all those big Hollywood stars.
An American left which features Michael Lind and Todd Gitlin however
is not intellectually serious, and the American left is obviously not
organized except by loons who will soon rush to the defense of Kim
Jong-il.

So I think we are well on the way to decisive defeat especially if
Bush and Wolfowitz are able to create the semblance of some political
democratic and material improvement in Iraq. As Perry Anderson
suggests, this will give Bush all the irrestibility which he needs to
refashion the Middle East:

"Of course, as many otherwise well-disposed commentators have
hastened to point out, rebuilding Iraq might prove a taxing and
hazardous business. But American resources are large, and Washington
can hope for a Nicaraguan effect after a decade of mortality and
despair under UN siege-counting on the end of sanctions and full
resumption of oil exports, under a US occupation, to improve the
living conditions of the majority of the Iraqi population so
dramatically as to create the potential for a stable American
protectorate, of the kind that already more or less exists in the
Kurdish sector of the country. Unlike the Sandinista government, the
Ba'ath regime is a pitiless dictatorship with few or no popular
roots. The Bush administration could reckon that the chances of a
Nicaraguan outcome, in which an exhausted population trades
independence for material relief, are likely to be higher in Baghdad
than they were in Managua.

In turn, the demonstration effect of a role-model parliamentary
regime, under benevolent international tutelage-perhaps another Loya
Jirga of the ethnic mosaic in the country-would be counted on to
convince Arab elites of the need to modernize their ways, and Arab
masses of the invincibility of America. In the Muslim world at large,
Washington has already pocketed the connivance of the Iranian clerics
(conservative and reformist) for a repeat of Enduring Freedom in
Mesopotamia. In these conditions, so the strategic calculus goes,
bandwagoning of the kind that originally brought the PLO to heel at
Oslo after the Gulf War would once again become irresistible,
allowing a final settlement of the Palestinian question along lines
acceptable to Sharon."

rb