[OPE-L:8681] Re: probabilistic approaches to the theory of value and philosophy

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 08:24:45 EST

Hi  Michael,

re 8679:
Sticking to what seems to be the main point:

> For exchange to happen it is of no importance that there be a uniform
> quantitative measure in the goods themselves -- precisely because they
> are different, and exchange would be pointless without them being
> different. Exchange considered as com-merce is a 'coming together of
> goods'.

Of course it is true that exchange by two isolated individuals does
not require a 'third thing'  (and it is always true that exchange
requires differnces of use value). But, as you say earlier, we are
dealing with generalised, i.e. society wide, exchange whence it is
necessary that there is a 'third thing' underlying exchange value.
Societies don't base themselves on generalised practices having
no relationship to matter, to material production, rather societies
*are* modes of production at heart.

Use value difference is a *condition* for generalised exchange but
so are many other things (e.g. the many transhistorical
requirements for the existence of human beings). None of these
*conditions* should be confused with 'that which holds systematic
exchange together'.

Andy