[OPE-L:8686] RE: Re: RE: retirement and the working class

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 12:47:45 EST

Good points, Jerry.

I suspect most financial planners would consider a 7% yield to be a little on
the conservative side. You're right that CURRENT yields are lower, but for a
person in his 50s right now, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that
things will be "back to normal" in 15 or 20 years. Of course, one never knows.

As to social security, I'm working on the supposition that the financial
planner is advising people in higher income brackets (that's why he takes a
million as the absolute minimum), who will receive the maximum social security
benefit, which I gather is in the neighborhood of $1400 a month, a few
thousand shy of the $20,000 ballpark figure I tossed out. You are right that
the Bushites are determined to deep-six social security.  Who knows how that
will turn out. I've pretty much given up hope that ordinary bourgeois decency
& common sense (let's not even talk about true progessive change) will triumph
over reactionary lunacy. I was supposing that the financial planner's starting
point was the present institutional configuration.

The interesting thing, for me, is that the planner's mind-set excludes people
outside the upper-income demographic: most ordinary folks, who are unlikely
ever to amass a nest-egg of a million dollars, aren't even on the radar
screens of those who advise on retirement planning. That is, people who really
can use the advice are ignored in favor of fat cats who are gonna be all right
whether they get the advice or not. Hey, I'm beginning to see a pattern here!

Best regards,

Gary