[OPE-L:8695] Re: Exchange

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 10:23:11 EST

Hi Michael,

re 8687:

In your comments (i) and (ii) you interpret Marx (many times
previously you have critiqued his 'simple errors', and those of all
Marxists to boot) and offer an account of exchange. But, you do
not seem to me to grasp the notions of materialism or labour, i.e.
you do not seem to grasp the notion of 'mode of production',
referred to in your point (i). This notion of 'mode of production'
entails that different societies are different modes of production,
and hence of labour. Without such a notion you can find no 'third
thing' underlying exchange value. You have mentioned 'use value'
but the abstraction in exchange leaves use value without any
quantitative dimension, hence without any necessary relation to
exchange value. It is unclear from your point (ii) whether you do still
wish to maintain that use value 'holds exchange together', but such
a view is falsified by the real abstraction referred to above. Use
value is a necessary *condition* for system-wide exchange, but so
are many, many things (e.g. humanity, matter, conducive weather,
etc.): your point ii provides no argument that use value should be
privileged over any other condition, as far as I can see. The point is
that these conditions have all been entirely abstracted from in
exchange, so cannot explain exchange value. Only labour is left
(the quantity of SNLT is not entirely abstracted from in exchange
though proportionality obviously doesn't hold) and the labour that is
left is highly peculiar (defining the CMP at the most abstract level),
since all natural materiality has been drained from it.

Andy