[OPE-L:8699] Re: Re: Exchange

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:23:26 EST

Hi,

Your comments are in the spirit of my own argument. You suggest
2 other posible substances of value.

(1) Energy. This is interesting. Of course 'energy' is a hotly
disputed concept: despite its widespread use in physics, it is not
well explained or grasped I suspect. I think explaining it is a task of
materialist dialectics. The same remarks apply to SNLT, in fact. I
suspect that such an explication of these two concepts would in
fact rule out energy as such from being the substance of value. But
I don't know enough to be sure. Isn't energy related to mass? In
which case why doesn't the fact that mass is obviously not the
scalar we are after, rule out energy as well?

(2) The Sraffian standard commodity. I don't agree that this is a
contender at all. As soon as a new commodity is produced then
the standard commodity of the new economy is incommensurable
with that of the old, isn't it?

Thanks,

Andy