Re: (OPE-L) The last years of Karl Marx

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 04:08:28 EDT

For Rakesh: If I remember well enough Marx made a comment during this later
time that he had 'finished with all that ***  ' when refering to the studies
of Capital,  meaning that he had solved the basic problems.

His studies of the Turkish material on Rent, his learning of Turkish eg,
doesn't indicate  a search for an easier task to me! Remember the 'cubic
metres' of material on the topic found by Engels after Marx's death...marx
wanted to trace back the
historical origin of rent  as a 'turkish' form.

When Jurriian says  'although I believe Marx was a little Eurocentric
in his view of Russian society, he could not see any positive features of
peasant society',  there seems a one sided judgement given Marx's overall
research
on rent in later life, although he never worked that detail up for
publication.  On the other hand
the peasant does get neglected  rather, and here Jurriian seems feel the
same as Mitrany. (Chasing off on long boat /train journeys to Oran in those
days doesn't seem  too easy a task either!)

Paul.