Re: (OPE-L) Inflation, credit, and the 'money expression of labour' within a value-form perspective

From: Philip Dunn (pscumnud@DIRCON.CO.UK)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 09:04:30 EDT

Reuten <g.a.t.m.reuten@UVA.NL> said:

> Phil Dunn writes:
> "Money is purchasing power and its intrinsic value is
> measured by quantity of the immanent
> measure, labour time, it commands."
> I do not know what the meaning is of a general statement
> like this. Is this meant to be an abstract statement? At
> what level?
> Inflation is presumably a fairly concrete phenomenon.
> The statement here rings a bell of Marx early on in Capital
> I. But he is very clear that he is positing this at a most
> abstract and simplified level. It would make a charicature
> of Marx to just cut all the mediations that would evemtually
> get one to the complex of price inflation. But may be you
> are not discussing Marx. If not, are you making a concrete
> statement?

The reference was to Marx, especially to the opening pages of Cap. I ch. 3.
Marx talks there of the _relative_ value of money being given by the expanded
relative expression of value:

The general form of relative value has resumed its original shape of simple or
isolated relative value. On the other hand, the expanded expression of
relative value, the endless series of equations, has now become the form
peculiar to the relative value of the money-commodity. The series itself, too,
is now given, and has social recognition in the prices of actual commodities.
We have only to read the quotations of a price-list backwards, to find the
magnitude of the value of money expressed in all sorts of commodities.

I have always been struck by the passage. However, Marx cannot follow it up
because of the heterogeneity of "all sorts of commodities".  To get over this
problem it is necessary to drop use-value, concrete labour and private labour
as the peculiarities of the equivalent.

As to abstract/concrete level -- if inflation simply is change in the value of
money, that is what it is. Of course, elaboration is required to deal with
empirical complexities. This is focused on the definition and measurement of
nominal value added. NVA is a just difficult to measure as profit.

> Phil Dunn also writes:
> "The value of a nominal unit of  money, as universal
> relative, is equal to the the ratio of  total living
> labour time to total nominal value added."
> Is this what you mean, or should it be the other way around?

It is the right way up.  If the nominal unit of money is the dollar, the value
of money is hours per dollar, dimensionally.

Phil Dunn

 Comradely,