Re: (OPE-L) Is value labour?

From: clyder@GN.APC.ORG
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 13:37:09 EDT

Quoting Michael Eldred <artefact@T-ONLINE.DE>:
 > > I think you are justified in calling attention to the use of the
> > term 'forms' in idealist metaphysics.  I prefer to use
> > terms like 'mode of representation' of value instead
> > of 'value form'.  Talk of representation, projection,
> > and images has an optical and technical mathematical
> > meaning that pushes back the metaphysics.
>
> Only that "representation" is a major term in Cartesian or Leibnizian
> metaphysics. So you're not out of the woods yet. In fact, metaphysics
> returns with a vengeance in those ways of thinking that regard
> themselves as beyond metaphysics. I think that Cartesian metaphysics
> more suits your standpoint, for, in the Cartesian ontological casting,
> beings are representations in consciousness as magnitudes.

Of course representation had metaphysical origins too, but
it also has technical non metaphysical which is even more
true of 'projection'.

I agree in general though that all one can do is push back against
the metaphysics since a long history has embeded its terminology
in our language, echoes of it will persist.