(OPE-L) Morten Hansen on labour and money, + ...

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 18:52:29 EDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Strange or difficult
From: Morten Hansen <mmh@aub.dk>
Date: Sat, May 10, 2003 5:10 pm
To: glevy@pratt.edu

Hi Levy,

it’s ok, if you forward my remarks to the list. I’ve read the archives
since January this year. In general about the questions of money. Below
I’ve added some remarks, which I hope will explain my note concerning
OPEL 0305 better.

Further remarks concerning the relationship between labour and money:

I don’t believe that the terminological difference between labour and
labour force explains everything. As I see it, it is the exchangeability
of commodities with each other that makes them a commodity. And they are
only exchangeable through the price form i.e. measured by money.

Why is labour force a commodity? Since, labour force isn’t produced as a
common product, labour force isn’t similar to an usual commodity like a
printer. It would be much more evident to compare human labour force
with natural forces such as oil sources, forests and agricultural
grounds. Labour force is sold, not as a commodity, but »as if« it was a
commodity. It has no commodity form, it obtains first one by the virtue
of money (in this case money-capital). Labour force has no value in
itself. Value is only a question of exchangeability (with money). Hence,
the labour force must obtain its value by virtue of its exchangeability
with money. From this point of view there is no connection between the
wage-theory and the labour theory of value.

Yours

Morten Hansen