Re: (OPE-L) is value labour?

From: Howard Engelskirchen (hengels@ZOOM-DSL.COM)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 00:46:38 EDT

I agree with Hans that for the essentials we are not dealing with metaphors,
and, in fact, probably the surest way to introduce imprecision is to
understand Marx's arguments metaphorically.  Suppose, for example, Jerry,
that we say labor is "embodied," or "incorporated in" ("body" also at the
root), or that we use any such other  words -- whatever the term, we are
referring to activity required for production.  This gets measured by time.
There is nothing metaphorical about the expenditure of labor in producing
something and nothing metaphorical about pointing at the aggregate of
activities responsible for a quantity of production over time.  Though the
material activities are no longer present as activity, or visible as such,
they were physically present just as the line drive in the baseball game
last night.  And even though they are no longer physically present as
visible activities, we can still refer to them the way we refer to a book
missing from the table.  They were material, we could see them, and they
left traces in presently existing producdts such that those products are
different physically from what they otherwise would have been.  The product
that presently exists is therefore a good sign of the activity that produced
it.  There is nothing metaphorical here.

Hans's further point is a more difficult one.  I think broadly I agree --
value first becomes empirically manifest in exchange.  But value is there
from the beginning insofar as we presuppose a particular structure of
production -- producers are related to land and the instruments of
production independently and are related to the products of their respective
labors as something useless to them.  The contradiction implicit here
generates necessarily exchange.  Now the really difficult point is the step
Hans introduces -- in what sense is abstract labor causally efficacious?
The point is, isn't it, that the reciprocal relationships of labor within
the totality of labors taken in the aggregate, and taken in relation to
social need, sets the terms for the exchange of products in exchange.  It
constrains the possibilities that can become manifest in exchange.

By the way, Rakesh, the real/actual distinction is not the same kind of
thing as the actual/virtual or actual/potential distinction.  Actual refers
to those things sensibly present that we can experience.  Real refers to
things that are causally efficacious, whether actual or empirical or not.
That is, the real can include those things that are causally efficacious but
that are in principle inaccessible to the senses.  The relationship of
labors within the totality of labors does not become empirically manifest
until exchange.  It cannot become empirically manifest as long as labor
remains private in form.  But it constrains the phenomena of exchange
nonetheless.  I'm not sure Ruben, who has shaped so significantly
contemporary debate, is quite prepared to distinguish between the empirical
and the non-empirical real.  As a consequence perhaps he tends to privilege
exchange.

Howard