Re: value and labour

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 06:15:17 EDT

Hi,

This relates to our previous exchange regarding the nature or
substance of value. You suggested the standard commodity was a
contender for this position.

The problem I have is that in comparing the standard commodity of
two different systems you are not really comparing like with like. In
each respective system the exchange value expressed in terms of
the standard commodity is an index for exchange value as such, or
exchangability, where the quantity of exchagability of a particular
good can only be defined by the whole vector of exchange values of
that particular good, i.e one car = 2 standard commodities = three
televisions = 10 computers =.....

In different systems there are different sets of goods, so in general,
exchange value is incommensurable between systems. The whole
gamut of conlusions reached in Sraffian economics are thereby
conditional upon how the above issue is resolved.

As I recall I thought our subsequent exchange made clear you had
in mind the standard commodity as an index of productive capacity
or some such. Is this so? If so then it raises questions about the
meaning of such an index, and how this is captured by the
standard commodity. Can productive capacity meaningfully be
reduced to a single dimension? Probably we then end up with
'energy', or 'abstract labour' as a meaningful variable in this context.

Could you clarify?

Andy