(OPE-L) a genius?

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 11:21:48 EDT

(was "Re: value and labour")

Andy wrote on Tuesday, May 13:

> I agree Sraffa is a genius to be taken extremely seriously.

By all means, let's take Sraffa's writings seriously.  But,
a "genius"?  How so?

"Genius", like "hero", is one of those words that has become,
imo, too generally used to describe exceptional people or
actions.  Perhaps Marx was a genius ... I'm not sure.  I can't
think of any figures in the history of political economy who
could be described accurately as a genius.  Can you or others
on the list think of a "genius" in the history of political
economy and economics?  There were certainly some serious
intellectuals and scholars in the history of Marxism (Lenin,
Trotsky, Luxemburg, Gramsci come to mind), but I don't really
think they were geniuses.  Is there any Marxist since Marx who
could fairly be described as being a genius?

In solidarity, Jerry