Re: Brinkman's paper

From: Ian Wright (ian_paul_wright@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 03:15:06 EDT

I cannot answer your question but I would also be interested in this paper,
since I think Brinkman's work is an interesting critique of the "physical
quantity"
argument, which claims to demonstrate that the value system is logically
irrelevant
to the determination of capitalist reality. To summarise, he argues that the
"physical quantity" system, although a consistent model, is incomplete.
Incomplete because it ignores the relative distribution of social
labour-time that
fixes the relative size of the productive sectors. Once the physical
quantity
argument is extended to include the distribution of social labour-time, the
value system is not logically irrelevant, but in fact has interesting
relationships
with the price system. I have a copy of his "On the relation between
labour-time
and money in a two sector system of commodity production and exchange"
which (I think) was presented at an IWGVT conference.

-Ian.