Re: (OPE-L) dreams and nightmares

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 05:01:31 EDT

"Fred B. Moseley" wrote:

> Riccardo, do you want the Cubans to make their political system more
> democratic at the national level NOW, under the current circumstances,
> when everybody knows that a more open democratic system would be exploited
> to the hilt by the US government and by Miami Cubans (a few hundred
> millions of dollars goes a long way in Cuba)?  Or do you want to voice
> criticism now in order to improve the chances of democratic changes later?

It depends what you mean by democracy. If  Riccardo means allowing free
elections, then Fred is obviously right. If yone means the institution of
a system of direct democracy with all executive bodies drawn by
lot, then I think it is a least arguable, that such institutions would
be as resistent to US intervention as the current form of state.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science

0141 330 3125