Re: (OPE-L) Re: From Ian Wright on Weeks and Simple Commodity Production

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 05:26:39 EDT

Paul Bullock wrote:

>  Paul, I thought that capital accumulation created a reserve army, whilst periodical crises reestablished the relation between capital and labour.
> Your view seems to be a long run Smithian idea.  paul bullock

The latent reserve army is created by the percolation of
capitalist relations of production into the peasantry and
artisanal population.

Once these are fully proletarianised you have a totally
different social formation and quite different dynamics.

The law of the tendancy of the rate of profit to fall does
not really come into effect until the proletarian population
stabilises.

The ability of the neo-liberal governments in Britain and
the US to depress the share of national income going to the
working class has been contingent upon the opening up
of capital movement to areas of the world where large
latent reserve armies exist.  Consider the change in the
relative position of the contending classes in the absence
of this possibility, and you will see a vision of the world
in 2050.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science