(OPE-L) Re: a materialist analysis of the situation in Cuba -- LTV

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 08:13:18 EDT

Re Michael E's message dated Friday, May 23:

> This presupposes that only a Marxist materialist analysis is credible. But
> is  issue of Marxist materialism is an ontological issue which, to boot,
> is  highly  controversial. We come back to the ontological issue of the
> validity of the LTV,  the foundation stone in Marx's critique of
> capitalism as a mode of (social) production and exchange.

No, not every question comes back to 'the ontological issue of the validity
of the LTV.'    The issue under discussion was the facts regarding the
current  situation in Cuba.  An appeal to the LTV and ontology will not help
us comprehend this current development.  We have seen that there are (at
least) two different narratives for what has been happening in Cuba.  To
access the relative merit of those two narratives, we have to explore the
factual underpinnings (or lack thereof) of each perspective.

In solidarity, Jerry