Re: (OPE-L) Rising organic composition (was: From Ian Wright on Weeks....)

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 19:33:28 EDT

Paul C,
I'm not quite clear what you are saying here

stagnant population=>rising OCC=>falling rate of
profit=>overaccumulation of capital=>intensified international
competition to secure foreign investment outlets

If so, do note Grossmann's argument that capital would be
overaccumulated not because of a rising OCC but in spite of it and
even if population did not remain stagnant.

You write:

>The neo-liberal opening
>of world capital markets was designed to offset
>the stagnant labour forces by allowing capital to
>move to labour. But this does not suffice to
>prevent chronic recessions in highly capitalised
>economies such as Japan.

Well one reason for this failure would be that the repatriation of
profit which results from this export of capital only compounds the
problem of overaccumulation which led to the export in the first
place.

Yours, Rakesh