(OPE-L) Re: Pietro Basso: Modern Times, Ancient Hours: Working Lives in the Twenty-First Century

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 08:00:28 EDT

Re Modern Times, Ancient Hours: Working Lives in the Twenty-First Century
by Pietro Basso:

> In Modern Times, Ancient Hours Pietro Basso argues convincingly that
> the average working time of wage labourers is more intense,
> fast-paced, flexible, and longer than at any period in recent
> history. This is true, he posits, not only in industry and
> agriculture, but also, and particularly, in the service industry.

It will be interesting to see how Brasso measured changes in
the intensity of work.  I.e. is his evidence anecdotal or does
he present empirical findings in which there is a reliable quantitative
measure for labor intensity and available international data on
labor intensity in industry, agriculture, and the service sector?
Perhaps I'll just have to read the book to find out for myself.

In solidarity, Jerry