Re: The 'cultural and moral' component (was Meillassoux on population and wages)

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@SOCIAIS.UFPR.BR)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 18:04:17 EDT

I would like to reply to Michael that we could interpret differentials
in male/female workers in a that diverge from the notion of different
subsistence requirements.
If wages are supposed to allow for the reproduction of labor power as a
class of individuals it can only have a family meaning, that is, it has
to enough for the reproduction of the family, the social space where the
reproduction of that class takes place. If this is so and the wage falls
bellow the value of labor power and supposing this entices other members
of the family to work then these other members can only get a
complementary wage, that is a wage which complements the value of labor
power, understood as a family value. Couldn´t this serve as the basis
for understanding wage differentials between man and women? This
mechanism would have nothing to do with different subistance
requirements but rather would be based on the concept of value of labor
power as it applies to the family unity.

(By the way Michael, I am very interested in reading your book. Do you
know how much will the new edition cost? Is it presently available at
Amazon? Do you recommend waiting for the new edition?)
Thanks
Paulo