Re: Meillassoux on population and wages

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@SOCIAIS.UFPR.BR)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 15:13:26 EDT

Hi Rakesh, I do not read those chapters (manufacture, modern industry) quite
the same way you do.
Using the Intl Publishers for references. On the one hand Marx suggests that
diskilling of the labor force (pp.420, 421,,422) would decrease the value of
labor power. How could diskilling reduce the value (not the price below
value!) of labor power? A colleague of mine has suggested to me that this
could be due to the fact that less money is necessary to rear the next
generation of workers. In this case the concept of value of L.P. as a family
value related to the reproduction of the of workers as a class is relevant,
contrarily  to Michael Lebowitz suggestion that the capitalist class does
not need to worry about a new generation to rise 20 years hence.
On the other hand, machinery increases the mass of exploitable labor force.
Here diskilling (and dis-strenghtening=muscular force not being necessary)
increases the Industrial reservy army (p. 394) and this would depreciate the
price of labor power below its value.
What struck me in the interview is that there is nothing in Marx, to my
knowkedge, suggesting that wages could not stay below the value of labor
power for a long period of time. Periphery is a very nice place to
understand why thia is so!
Paulo