(OPE-L) Re: the _struggle_ over the length of the working day

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 08:45:53 EDT

Re: (OPE-L) Re: the _struggle_ over the length of theRe Rakesh's message dated Tuesday, June 10:

Previously I wrote:

> The quote you are evidently referring to is from Section 5 of
> XIII ("Main Causes of Attempts at Raising Wages or Resisting
> their Fall") of _Value, Price and Profit_   (see
> http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1865/value-price-profit/ch03.htm ).
> Marx wrote that "In all the cases I have considered,  and they
> form ninety-nine out of a hundred,  you have seen that a struggle
> for a rise in wages follows only in  the track of *previous* changes ..."

Rakesh asked:

 > Why not quote the entire paragraph, which reads: <snip, JL> <

It was a long paragraph and I gave the exact location -- and url --
of the paragraph.  I thought that was enough.

Rakesh continues:

> Marx conceives wage struggle here as  "reactions of labour against the
> previous action of capital."

Your memory, on Monday, had Marx writing that in nine out of ten cases
"workers struggles are in fact defensive."  The paragraph that you cited
does *not* deal with workers' struggles in general -- *or* the specific issue
under discussion in this thread, namely,  struggles over the length of
the working day -- but _only_ with struggles for increased wages. It
would be a very big mistake, imo, to conceive of workers' struggles as
_only_ struggles over increased wages.

Rakesh then cites another paragraph 'a few pages down' which shows
that:

> Again Marx has workers responding "against the encroachments of capital",
> not vice versa.

Again: Marx is discussing *wage* struggles.

Rakesh continues:

> My point here is that Marx may have been wrong to conceive of
> worker struggles in overly defensive terms.
> Perhaps he could be read  falsely casting the worker struggles as
> defensive,

Again: Marx didn't claim that workers' struggles in general are defensive
in nature.

> as responses to the previous actions and encroachments of
> capital in order to embolden oppressed who would otherwise be fearful of
> actually offending the powers that be. Perhaps Marx worked around rather
> than assaulted the inhibitions of the oppressed who could at best see themselves
> defending but never offending their social superiors?
> Perhaps Marx is a conservative, and theorists like John Holloway and
> Michael Lebowitz are developing a more uninhibited radicalism.

Marx wasn't a conservative but he may have had a 19th Century
belief that if  workers are portrayed as victims then the self-awareness of
workers as victims will help mobilize and empower them.  Psychology,
Social and otherwise --  it should be recalled -- was in its infancy when
Marx was alive.

In solidarity, Jerry