Re: power law distribution of capitalist income

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 04:43:49 EDT

Ian Wright wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> >This would imply that we need more detailed and structured
> >simulations to see if we can get these distributions.
> >I have never disagregated the classes in this way,
> >I have only been concerned with disaggregation of
> >the productive sector.
>
> Yes, I have been trying to do this recently, but my
> work on this is at a very early stage. I also know that
> one bug in a program, or one misidentification of an
> empirical distribution, can easily lead astray. So I cannot
> report any results.

My experience in trying to build models with the production
system built in, was that it was hell even to get reproduction
going properly. If one assumed price elasticity one easily got
undamped oscillations. I found that I got crises in which
basic industries closed down completely because they were
making a loss, and the material reproduction of the whole
system stopped. I was only able to get any sort of stability
of reproduction by making prices very inelastic.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science

0141 330 3125