Re: origins of capitalism

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 15:02:33 EDT

Hi Howard,
Bills of exchange and discounting generally which became quite
sophisticated in the Italian City States and Amsterdam reduced
circulation costs and time (there seem to have been roughly
equivalent institutions in Mughal India developed by Parsis,Jains and
others).  If the attempt to reduce circulation time follows from
production having become actually dependent on market exchange, then
what explains the development of sophisticated (social) technologies
for the reduction thereof in 'economies' which do not count as
capitalist at least by Ellen Wood's criteria (see her criticism of
Jan DeVries' thesis about the capitalist and modern nature of the
Dutch Republic)? Perhaps there was more dependence of production on
the market outside of rural England than Wood's account recognizes? I
must say that it is difficult to understand how "agrarian capitalism"
could have developed in England without the honing of the complex
merchant operations which the English inherited.

Given your criticism of Pashakunis'emphasis on circulation at the
expense of production, I expected you to emphasize the legal change
required for the English system of competitive leases at the heart of
the Brenner-Wood thesis and for the compulsion of proletarian labor
in early capitalism (statutes which pinned down labourers in the
country side, the use of criminal and vagabondage law to force labor,
the legal accomodation of slavery, and the legality of
impressment--see of course Michael Perelman's work as well as Paul
Lovejoy and Nicholas Rogers, ed. Unfree Labour in the Development of
the Atlantic World).

Marx's truly brilliant (ch. 28, KI)  insight was that this early
capitalist system of extra economic coercion was needed longer than
usually thought and lived on in the laws even after it had become
anachronistic--that is, after the peasantry had been expropriated,
millions of slaves had been incorporated, the cultural inhibitions
against proletarian labor had worn down, and production had become
less labor intensive.  See for example Karen Orren's Belated
Feudalism on the persistence of employer rights against the mobility
and freedom of wage labor up until the New Deal in the US! She may of
course confuse early capitalist vestiges in the law with only
formally feudal ones. To make another point:  we have here an example
of how Marx theorized the uneven temporal rhythms in the different
realms of society (see Daniel Bensaid's Marx for Our Times on the non
reductionist and non progressivist elements in Marx's theory of time
and history--the different social realms are temporally out of joint,
so obvious in general economic crises when the development of
proletarian politics and culture may lag far behind).

Yours, Rakesh