Re: origins of industrial capitalism -- Middlemarch on PE

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 18:22:42 EDT

>Cologne 20-Sep-2003
>
>"She sat down in the library before her particular little heap of
>books on political
>economy and kindred matters, out of which she was trying to get
>light as to the best way
>of spending money so as not to injure one's neighbours, or -- what
>comes to the same
>thing -- so as to do the most good. Here was a weighty subject
>which, if she could but
>lay hold of it, would certainly keep her mind steady." (George
>Eliot, Middlemarch,
>Chapter Eighty-Three p.804)

My interest is not as fleeting as Dorothea's; nor are my motivations
for this study in any way similar to hers. My wife the English
professor tells me that you have inappropriately used the passage.
But then as with your idea of the Cartesian limits of Marx, I again
have no idea as to what you are on   about.
Rakesh