Re: (OPE-L) the secret by which the capitalist class maintains its power

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@SOCIAIS.UFPR.BR)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 15:12:53 EDT

The book, "Persistet inequalities", by Botwinick, was an attempt to lay
down the theory of competition upon which to understand that divisions
within the working class are a necessary result. These divisions
systematically created by the process od competition, divisions which
set one segment of the working class against another, much in the way
described by Marx (think about southern italians workers laboring in the
north), clearly become part of the domination of the proletariat by the
bourgeoisie.
There is however another level of analysis which should be related to
intra-class divisions and this is the ideology proper to the capitalist
social relations.
All colleagues in OPE-L know: 1. the capitalist producrion process is a
process among things bought by capital. As a result the product and
productivity of labor appear as an attribute of capital; 2.Original
capital as a result of labor; 3. Profits as springing from total capital
rather than by its variable part alone; 4. Profits as salaries of
management; 5.Wages as payment for labor and not for labor power. These
are all aspects of the social relations which Marx tried to de-mystify
exactly for the reason that these were appearances which couvered the
exploitative nature of the system.

How should we relate this to Marx analysis of the Irish case? Is there a
continuos of analysis? How could this more general and abstract level be
interwoven with the more concrete analysis presented in Marx´s
quotation?
Paulo