capitalism in a single sector? (was: basic sectors 1or more)

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 11:26:33 EDT

Paul C wrote:

> I agree that with respect to Sraffa's definintion of the
> basic sector being commodities that enter into all commodities
> there is here no basic sector. But that is what I am trying to
> probe - the possibility that instead of a single basic sector
> there could be self sufficient islands within the i/o table.

With respect to capitalism, how can sectors be "self sufficient
islands"?  Isn't the inter-connectedness of capital across
sectors a distinguishing feature of capitalism?  Or are you
exploring the possibility of "self sufficient islands" outside
of -- yet 'co-existing' with -- capitalism?  If so, perhaps
Marx's critique of Utopianism has some relevance.  Then again,
maybe I just don't understand _why_ you are interested in this
topic.

In solidarity, Jerry