(OPE-L) Campus Equity Week (CEW), October 27-31

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 22:03:02 EDT

There will be a series of demonstrations internationally
over the issues surrounding the use of "contingent
academic labor" by colleges.  This event demonstrates
both the *international character* of the super-exploitation
of part-time, and other contingent, workers employed by
colleges and the growing international *resistance* to
that exploitation. See:
http://www.psc-cuny.org/CEW03.htm
http://www.cewaction.org

[Digression: I heard about the above action at a movie series called
"Labor Goes to the Movies" sponsored by the Professional
Staff Congress.  The movie tonight was the 1965 film by
Gillo Pontevorco called "The Battle of Algeirs".  It was
encouraging to see a NY-based union sponsor an overtly
anti-imperialist film.   Given some recent events in Baghdad
and Palestine the movie seemed very topical and could be
shown in the classroom.  Pontevorco, I learned, also made
the film "Burn" with Marlon Brando.  If you can get a copy and
haven't seen it before, watch it.]

In solidarity, Jerry