Re: (OPE-L) Re: indirect labor, the real wage, and the production of surplus value

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 00:03:10 EST

--- gerald_a_levy <gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM> wrote:
> Mike L wrote:
>
> > But, Jerry, yesterday you wrote the following:
> > >Assuming that commodities are sold at their value
> and assuming
> > >competitive  conditions,  productivity increases
> should result in
> > > declining
> > >commodity prices, including declining prices for
> means of consumption
> > >for workers. A given real wage, under these
> circumstances,  requires
> > >*declining money wages*.
>
> Right.  My (implicit) point was that the assumption
> of a given real wage
> when  productivity was increasing produced an
> *absurd* result:  falling
> money wages.
>
> > Under these conditions (ie., falling commodity
> prices), won't real wages
> > grow with productivity--- unless something has
> produced a fall in money
> > wages?
_____________________

This proposition makes no sense to me. Why should
money wages fall with the rise in productivity and
real wages being fixed? I think one can point out not
one but several cases, including the USA in the last
ten to twenty years, where real wages have remained
constant or even declined but money wages almost
invariably have been on the rise. I think your
proposition sounds more absurd that what you are
declaring to be absurd. Cheers, ajit sinha