Re: indirect labor, the real wage, and the production of surplus value

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 02:24:24 EST

--- "michael a. lebowitz" <mlebowit@SFU.CA> wrote:
> At 22:27 23/11/2003 -0800, ajit wrote:
>
> >  from the
> >begining I have been saying that your argument or
> the
> >problem is running in a circle. Once you say that
> the
> >real wage is determined by the class struggle or
> the
> >degree of separation of the workers, then you
> cannot
> >say that now I want to see how the real wages would
> >behave when the degree of separation remains
> constant
> >and some other variable changes. Because if the
> real
> >wage was only the function of the degree of
> separation
> >of the workers then once it is held constant then
> >there is no theoretical reason for it to change.
>
> Ajit,
>          I don't think I have ever said that the
> real wage 'was ONLY a
> function of the degree of separation of the
> workers'. If I had, then of
> course your point would be valid. But, if this were
> my position, why would
> I constantly be proposing that if productivity rises
> (and thus the values
> of wage goods falls), then IF the degree of
> separation of workers is
> constant, real wages will rise? The argument is
> basically summed up on pp.
> 216 as follows:
>
> U= Bq/X, where U, B, q and X are the real wage(U), a
> constant (B),
> productivity(q) and the degree of separation of
> workers (X).
>
>          The condition for a constant real wage,
> then, is that the degree
> of separation rises at the same rate as
> productivity.
_____________________

But isn't this the point I have been labouring for so
long and have been reapeting all along? For you, real
wages are a direct function of productivity (q). My
point has been that for Marx the real wages are not a
function of productivity. So the problem you are
posing to Marx is not Marx's problem. To say that
given U = Bq/X, U will be constant only if q/X must
remain constant, given B being constant, is elementary
mathematics. What insight one can get from such
elementary mathematics? So, to repeat, the problem
with what you are saying is that for your theory a
rise in labor productivity, leaving other variables
constant, must lead to a rise in real wages. This is
not in Marx. Secondly, it is not clear how do you
calculate X, if your X is Marx's S/V, then you have a
circularity problem. Because in Marx's theory S/V is a
function of your U, and not the other way around as
you are implying. Unfortunately, since your book is
already out, I don't know what good my arguments are
for now? Cheers, ajit sinha

p.s. I personally think that labor productivity has
direct impact on wages. But I cannot incert this in
Marx's theory and create a problem for him. AS
The condition for ANY