Re: (OPE-L) RE: Fed printing $ instead of U.S. Treasury

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 10:18:21 EST

Ajit, You are re-asking my question.  I simply don't understand the Fed
printing money vis-a-vis the Treasury.  The fed is probably a
'not-for-profit' institution officially, but, hell, that's interesting
also.  Is it indeed 'private' or what exactly -- I seem to recall some
labeling it, quasi-private, or semi-governmental? Who monitors it (if the
Fed stuffs some printed money in its own pockets)? (Given the lack of
response on this issue, it seems many of us don't have the answer.) Paul

--On Friday, December 05, 2003 10:06 PM -0800 ajit sinha
<sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> Paul, is Fed a profit making institution? And if so,
> who receives its profits? If Fed is issuing currency
> in the same manner as central banks all over the
> world, then what is the specificity of Fed in this
> case? Cheers, ajit sinha

RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor, Elsevier Science
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka