Re: the real wage, and the production of surplus value

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 00:31:35 EST

--- "michael a. lebowitz" <mlebowit@SFU.CA> wrote:
> At 21:47 05/12/2003 -0800, ajit wrote:
> >  So let me ask you again,
> >what is interesting about the proposition that
> GIVEN
> >that commodity money value remains constant and
> GIVEN
> >that workers commodity-money wages remain constant
> and
> >GIVEN that equal values exchange in the market,
> THEN a
> >fall in the value of wage goods would imply a rise
> in
> >the real wages of the workers! What's the big deal
> >here? Am I missing something? Cheers, ajit sinha
>
> Ajit,
>          All I offered was the simple proposition
> (now rather belaboured)
> that once you no longer hold real wages constant by
> definition, then
> productivity increases in the production of wage
> goods lead to rising real
> wages and no relative surplus value UNLESS THERE IS
> SOME MECHANISM
> OPERATING TO REDUCE MONEY WAGES.
________________________

But this is not true! As I have argued earlier, given
paper money wages does not necessarily make it true.
Even in the case of given commodity money wages, it is
not true unless you add an unreasonable assumption
that value of commodity money remains fixed. And
thirdly, we have not even opened the pandora box that
in the world of prices of production and not equal
value exchanges, it is not so easy to know how would
prices move with changes in technology, given that
changes in intermediary goods prices could cause
'priverse' effects on all those price changes.
_____________________
 This question does
> not emerge in Marx's
> discussion of relative surplus value in CAPITAL
> insofar as he assumes real
> wages given in a given place and point in time (and
> thus the necessary
> condition for relative surplus value is obscured). I
> thought this
> interesting, but if one is content with
> Physiocratic/ Ricardian/Sraffian
> fixed wage requirements, it's no big deal.

The fact od the matter is that neither Sraffa nor
Sraffians take real wages as fixed. Cheers, ajit sinha