Re: Labour aristocracy

From: dashyaf@EASYNET.CO.UK
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:47:55 EST

Simon,

It is unclear to me what you mean by production workers. David C Korton
pointed out that 'in the modern global economy, production accounts for
only about 25 per cent of the selling price of a typical product. Another
way to put it is that 75 per cent of the value created by those who produce
real goods and services is now being captured by those who do only money
work.' When Corporations Rule the World (1995 Earthscan) Crudely put maybe
but you get the point. How is this possible? The high standard of living of
significant sections of those workers employed in financial and business
services - my articles have pointed out the changing nature of the working
class and, therefore, labour aristocracy in the contemporary imperialist
economy - as well as the vast array of other assorted highly paid 'middle
class' professionals,  can only be explained on the basis of imperialism.

I think the division between productive and unproductive workers is more
significant and it is pertinent to ask how the imperialist economies can
sustain such a high proportion of unproductive workers - with significant
sections of such workers having a very high standard of living. Yes, at the
same time,  ever greater numbers of  unproductive workers are being forced
into very low paid jobs in the imperialist countries as well. This is a
measure of  the crisis of imperialism.

There can be no doubt that the intensity of work of productive workers has
increased considerably without significant compensation in pay etc
especially in the US. But this level of pay is still as high as it is
because of the very high rates of exploitation and dismally low rates of
pay of the vast majority of the world's working class in the underdeveloped
world. This point seems to escape you.

There is little doubt that the numbers of privileged workers that
imperialist economies can sustain is diminishing and will eventually return
to a small influential minority of the working class  dominating the trade
unions and other labour organisations , similar to the proportion  in the
last quarter of the nineteenth century in Britain (estimated at around
15%). This still is some way off however.

The issue of the labour aristocracy needs discussing again in some serious
way. The stability of the capitalist system since the beginning of the
twentieth century cannot be understood without recourse to an explanation
along such lines.

David Yaffe