Re: (OPE-L) labor aristocracy, wages, and the value of labour power

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 18:11:00 EST

Jerry,

Note below in caps

Paul.

----- Original Message -----
From: "gerald_a_levy" <gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM>
To: <OPE-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 12:42 PM
Subject: (OPE-L) labor aristocracy, wages, and the value of labour power

> Paul B and David Y:
>
> I agree that monopolies -- if broadly interpreted, rather than narrowly
> understood as "pure monopolies" in mainstream theory,  are far more
> generalized today than in the time of Engels (or Lenin).  One only has to
> look  at the statistics for market concentration in major world markets
> and comprehend the role of  huge transnational corporations -- for the
> most part,  oligopolies --  to observe this.
>
> It also seems to me to be self-evident on one level that the wages of
> workers employed in the imperialist nations has grown, _in part_, as a
> consequence of imperialism -- in the sense that the profit received (and
the
> surplus value transferred) by corporations in the advanced capitalist
> nations has increased the bargaining power of workers in those nations and
> made possible higher wages. [NB: 'made possible' is different from
> ensuring.NB  I USED 'ENSURE' IN RELATION TO LOYALTY TO
THE SYSTEM, AS IS CLEAR FROM BELOW. PB]   Nowhere is this process
 more apparent than in the transnational
> corporations themselves since workers in different nations and regions
> receive different wages for producing the same commodities.
>
> And, I certainly agree that this process has involved the complicity of
> trade union 'leaders' with imperialist institutions and objectives.
>
> Having said that, let me ask you a couple of questions that concern the
> relation of your perspective on labor aristocracy to basic theory:
>
> 1)  when wages in the imperialist nations go up, does this mean that the
> 'customary' and 'moral' component of the wage, and hence the value of
> labour-power, has risen? (A) I DO NOT TALK OF ALL WAGES IN
IMPERIALIST STATES, ALTHOUGH THE STANDARDS OF EVEN THE POOR IN SUCH STATES
IS BAY AND LARGE HIGHER THAN THE MISERABLE EXISTENCE OF THE MASSES IN  THE
OPPRESSED STATES( B) THE KEY POINT IS THAT THE HIGHER THE REAL WAGE, THE
MORE SUBSTANTIAL THE MATERIAL BASIS FOR REFORMISM

> 2) Or, does it mean that wages in the imperialist nations rise above the
> value of labor power?   For the imperialized nations, do wages fall below
> the value of labour-power?  IN THE IMPERIALIST STATES THE
AVERAGE REAL WAGES ARE HIGHER THAN IN OPPRESSED STATES. HOWEVER IN THE LAST
QUARTER OF THE 20TH CENTURY,  THERE WAS A POLARISATION OF INCOME WITHIN THE
IMPERIALIST STATES . BOTH YOU AND SIMON M., IN A RELATED POST, SEEM TO BE
AVOIDING THE  ISSUE OF A LABOUR ARISTOCRACY BY LOOKING AT  WORKERS AS A
WHOLE OR ACROSS  SECTORAL DEFINITIONS AND NOT THE SPLIT  AMONG THE WORKERS
CAUSED BY THE SUPER PROFITS OF IMPERIALISM.

> What are the implications of  1) vs. 2) for the production of
surplus-value
> by workers in the imperialist vs. the imperialized nations?
>
> In solidarity, Jerry
>
> > Paul C response to DY's  statement  seems to me to be strange indeed.
Is