Re: unanswered questions about rent

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 23:30:37 EST

--On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 3:46 PM -0300 "michael a. lebowitz"
<mlebowit@SFU.CA> wrote:

> If the rate of surplus value in the oil sector were higher than other
> sectors, and there are barriers to the equalisation of rates of
> exploitation, could we argue that only differential rent exists?

As to the above, leaving aside absolute ground rent, I'd say it is not
obvious if the rate of s.v. is higher in oil -- we have both a highly
developed technology and higher sectoral average wages.  In any case, I'm
no expert on the industry and its cross-country comparisons.

Paul

RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor, Elsevier Science
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka