(OPE-L) heterodox journals and book series

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 13:35:20 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee, Frederic" <leefs@umkc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 11:26 AM
Subject: heterodox journals and book series

> Dear Colleague,
>
> There are two attachments:  one has a list of Heterodox Book Series and
the second has a list of Heterodox Journals.  The point of both lists is
purely informational.  That is, before putting the lists together I had a
very imperfect awareness of all the different heterodox journals and book
series that existed.  Consequently with lots of help from my friends far and
near and the support of Paddy Quick, the editor of the URPE Newsletter (in
which these lists first appeared, Fall 2003, Vol. 35.1), I was able to
compile both lists.  In particular, I sent out an e-mail asking people to
name heterodox journals and book lists and got back lots of names.  If
colleague X said that journal Y was a heterodox journal--that is a journal
in which more than 50% of the articles are heterodox in theory, discourse,
and subject matter--then I put it down as a heterodox journal, no questions
asked.  However, in spite of all the help I received, I do not claim that
the two lists are complete.  In particular, list foreign language heterodox
journals and or popular heterodox journals is seriously incomplete; and it
is possible I have overlooked some heterodox book series, especially those
in foreign languages.  Therefore if you spot any omissions please e-mail me
the information and I will update the list.

> Let me stress that the lists are not designed to create competition among
the journals or book lists--neither are ranked.  Rather, I present lists to
help heterodox economists know where they can best publish their articles
and books.  And I also hope that the book series and journal editors use the
list to build cooperative relationships among their editor colleagues.

> If you have any questions about the lists, please e-mail them to me.
>
> PLEASE MAKE THESE LISTS AVAILABLE TO COLLEAGUES AND GRADUATE STUDENTS.
>
> MOST IMPORTANTLY, PLEASE ENCOURAGE YOUR UNIVERSITY LIBRARY TO TAKE OUT
SUBSCRIPTIONS IN SOME OF THESE JOURNALS AND TO ORDER THE BOOKS THAT APPEAR
IN THE BOOK SERIES.  I ALSO ENCOURAGE YOU TO EXPAND YOUR OWN PERSONAL LIST
OF JOURNAL SUBSCRIPTIONS AND TO BUY THE BOOKS IN THE BOOK SERIES.