Re: Labour aristocracy and 'oppressed states'

From: John Holloway (johnholloway@PRODIGY.NET.MX)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 21:00:22 EST

Paul and all,

    Thanks for your explanations, but I still find the term 'oppressed
state' incomprehensible. If the state is a capitalist form of social
relations we can say that it is oppressive, but I don't think we can ever
say it is oppressed. It is a bit like talking of oppressed capitals. Of
course many individual capitals can be said to be 'oppressed' by the big
capitals, but surely it is a bit nonsensical to talk of oppressed capitals?

    You seem to be identifying states with peoples or countries, but that is
to overlook completely that the state is a specific form of social
organisation (and a form antagonistic to the people it claims to represent).
I don't imagine you feel identified with the British state. If you lived in
Mexico, I don't imagine you would feel identified with the Mexican state, or
wherever.

    But even if we talk of 'oppressed peoples or countries', that doesn't
make any sense to me either. Surely the inhabitants of the US are oppressed
too? Isn't oppression a global phenomenon?

    I don't see how talk of 'oppressed states' or even 'oppressed peoples'
helps us to address the class antagonism, which is surely our common
starting point.

    I am sure this has something to do with the issue of Venezuela.

    John