Re: (OPE-L) Re: Labour aristocracy

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 14:02:46 EST

>Hello Rakesh
>
>I didn't get the overall direction of your questions, but I was reeled in to
>try to answer:
>
>>Doesn't the movement of mental laboring
>>activities, e.g. writing code,  assume the application of the Babbage
>>principle to mental operations ... ?
>
>Programming labour can be divided into specialities just like any other
>labour. So there's no difference in kind in this respect. Additionally, the
>cost of computers and the requisite software to build new software is very
>low.

Ian, it will take me some time to think through the rest of your
message; it's been a couple of years since I read Harel's Computers
Ltd. What Computers Can't Do, which after all is just an
introduction. Would you mind my asking which specialities in the
writing of code are likely to be outsourced? I remember twenty years
ago my father's excitement about how CAD had revolutionized
microprocessor design. I would imagine that the tasks turned over to
computer checking first had to be simplified? Will much of what is
being outsourced to foreign software engineers eventually be
automated? I'll talk to my father tomorrow to try to get some idea
about this past revolution.
Thanks for the as always stimulating message.

Yours, Rakesh