(OPE-L) s/v & c/v: macroeconomic categories only?

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 08:54:57 EST

In the discussion on rent (on the list and in _Capital_), there is
repeated reference to varying compositions of capital in different
branches of production.  E.g. see the quote from _Capital_ on AR
in Paul Z's post yesterday.  Indeed, Marx wrote an entire chapter in
Volume 3 (Ch. 8) on "differing compositions of capital in differing
branches of production....".

* Would others agree that the composition of capital varies in
   different branches of production and is not _only_ "an overall
   macroeconomic category"?

* If the composition of capital can vary in different branches of
   production, can't there also be different rates of surplus value
   in different branches of production?

The background for the last question was a comment made by
Simon on January 6:

> 1. I think of the rate of surplus value as an overall macroeconomic
> category applying to the whole economy, and not applicable to individual
> production processes. (But I know that many disagree with this.)

Why is this the case or why is it not?

In solidarity, Jerry