Re: (OPE-L) Re: Roberto Veneziani article on TSS

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 13:18:03 EST

>   At every point the movement of Marx's dialectical
>>  analysis (the inadequacies or incompleteness of the lower forms of
>>  value) reproduces (or claims to reproduce) the actual historical
>>  movement. Money did grow out of barter.
>
>Ploanyi's account in Trade and Markets in Early Empires, seems to
>suggest it is a bit more complicated than that.

I am sure it is. Not clear from your comments as to what Polanyi's
correction would be. Does he subscribe to a chartalist theory of
money? By the way, a very provocative analysis of Polanyi's work in
Godelier's The Mental and the Material. Don't know whether a Polanyi
student has responded to it.

rb