Re: (OPE-L) Re: Jobs in London

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 05:10:53 EST

It's not so easy. First, I was amazed by the CV of Tony, though of
course I should not since he is a wonderful scholar and every time I
learn from him. Second, the Ph.D. It was not needed at the time as a
requisite to enter the University, and I was marrying for the first
time (at the time it seemed a good idea not to go, of course I
divorced a couple of years later, and then long depression), and I
didn't liked to go to Cambridge UK after I saw the Italian Sraffians
there in the summmer of 1977, and I asked Napoleoni for an advice,
and he looked at me with his clear blue eyes and said: "What do you
think they [foreigners] know better than us". I liked it.
Unfortunately he was wrong, and I remained "out", probably I would
have learnt a lot. Of course, not as a Marxist but in general as an
human being, *I* do not care about having or not a Ph.D., BUT you
see, *they*, those who hire you, they care, and with some reason.
However, I gave a look at the SOAS needs, and I must confess that it
is a wonderful opportunity but likely not fitting my personal (and
probably foolish) needs. You see, now I would like to reduce working
time (probably all have this need!) and focusing more on my research
interests, which are mainly history of economic thought and heterodox
monetary theory. And maintaining my two foots in Italian social and
political struggles (you know, my joke about myself is that if there
is a battle that the left may lose, I am there leading to disaster).
Thus, you see, I am dreaming of something which I think it is
strictly impossible, and a contradictio in adjecto (hope I remember
my Latin well), that is a temporary stable visiting professorship in
history of economic thought.

ciao

riccardo

--