Re: (OPE-L) RE: logical order and historical order

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 12:30:21 EST

Re: (OPE-L) logical order and historical orderHi Jerry and all,

This is all a work in progress for me, and so much is tentative or incomplete, but I think the following is not quite right or at least easily misleading:

In the methodological comments in the "Introduction" to the _Grundrisse_,
I think Marx is explaining why  the "starting point" of the commodity is
essential and why the ordering  should be logical rather than historical.

The way I understand this is that if the logical and historical unfolding
of the subject matter coincide, that's OK, but it's not essential. The
issue is whether in unpacking and developing the logical starting point
(for Marx, the commodity) one can reconstruct in thought all of the
essential aspects of the subject matter (the capitalist mode of
production).

"Method of Political Economy" in the Grundrisse 'Introduction' does not counterpose logic to history.  The contrast is between the surface appearance of phenomena and the inner structure or connection of determination uncovered by abstraction.  Certainly abstraction is a tool of thought, but what is abstracted to is not a logical starting point but something about the real object of inquiry that constitutes its most fundamental, its most decisive, determinations.   I take it these determinations are real and causal and it is good if the logic corresponds, not the other way around.  The commodity, for example, is a starting point because it is a real thing that offers the key to understanding the social relations of the capitalist mode of production, it is not the starting point because it is a logical anything -- that is not the way Marx operated.

Compare, say, the circulation of blood in mammals.  If I want a history of how that evolves, that's one thing.  If I want to know how the pump works to distribute blood throughout the body, how arteries and veins differ, etc., that's a different inquiry, but not a logical one.

So to say that "if the logical and historical unfolding of the subject matter coincide, that's ok, but it's not essential," is peculiar.  I understand you have in mind here the relation of small commodity production to capitalist production, but step back from that to, more generally, the investigation of the things of the world that are a product of evolution and process.  How could you say broadly that it's ok, but not essential, if the way a thing works now corresponds to the way it evolved historically?  Huh?

Jarius raises the question of necessity.  There is, I suppose, a relation of necessity precisely between the way a thing works now and how it evolves.  Anyway, necessity is something I want to think a lot more about, but here too the counterposition of logic and history doesn't capture what is at issue.  First, there can be no argument that things develop according to 'logical' necessity.  Necessities of causal function, certainly, but not necessities of thought.  If the notion that things develop according to logical necessities doesn't lead to idealism it leads to the infinite skepticisms of Hume to the effect that since we can't foreclose the logical possibility that bananas will grow out of Bush's nose we can't really know anything about causal connection.

On the other hand, to argue that there is some kind of historical necessity operating in things suggests history operates like a closed system and that's hardly the case.  The past is closed and we can show the sorts of necessities that operated there, but not the future.  Not only are there intersections of causally potent things that are coincidental, but there are phenomena which emerge.  Consciousness, for example, emerges from organic compounds.  So in one place the wage relation gives rise to capitalism, in another it doesn't, and history is full of threads variously taken up or broken off.

Howard